The first ERL Smart CIty RObotic Challenge (the SciRoc challenge) will be held at centre:mk, Milton Keynes (UK), from September 18th to September 21st, 2019. You can access the detailed schedule of the competition here.
The challenge focuses on smart shopping and will be divided into a series of episodes, each consisting in a task to be performed through addressing specific research challenges. During each episode, robots will have to cooperate continuously with a simulated digital infrastructure of a smart shopping mall, in order to accomplish their tasks. Teams are expected to participate in one or more episodes according to their research interests.
Structure of the Challenge
The challenge will be divided into several episodes. An episode places a functionality tested during a specific Functional Benchmark (FBM) into an operational context. This means that, during an episode, the tested functionality requires the integration with other system components, but limits the efforts for their development (using, for instance, off-the-shelf solutions). Although the goal is to target specifically one functionality (or exceptionally, two), an effort to integrate the main functionality and the other ones might be required in order to complete the episode.
Episodes are organised into categories depending on the task to achieve and the type of robots involved. We refer to three categories:
- HRI&Mobility: episodes involving robots able to show social behaviours, such as verbally interacting with (human) customers or navigating respecting proxemics, in line with the current ERL-Consumer. These are meant for any robot (wheeled, or legged) with navigational and verbal communication.
- Manipulation: episodes requiring robots to achieve manipulation tasks, applying ERL-Professional services to the smart city context. Episodes here are meant for any robot able to navigate and equipped with arms and effectors for the manipulation of objects.
- Emergency: tasks and challenges addressed by small VTOL aerial robots, along the lines of the ERL-Emergency. Any VTOL aerial platform able to carry and deliver items in specific locations, navigate in outdoor and indoor spaces, detect and avoid obstacles can take part to episodes of this category.
These episodes will be part of the SciRoc challenge.
(E04) Take the elevator
(E07) Shopping pick and pack
(E10) Open the door
Please access the current drafts of the rulebooks to see the detailed description and evaluation criteria for each episode.
- Expression of interest: Sep 01 – Oct 15, 2018
- Rulebook publication: Dec 15, 2018
- Registration: Mar 01 – May 30, 2019
Note that a dedicated booth will be present at the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2018) between Oct 1st and Oct 5th 2018, in order to attract team interests and episode preferences.
Loan a PAL/Robotics TIAGo
PAL Robotics, SciRoc Platinum Sponsors, offers the possibility of loaning a TIAGo to make it easier for teams to participate in this new and challenging robotics competition. Teams showing outstanding expertise and innovative developments will have the chance to receive one of the TIAGo Steel and one of the TIAGo Iron robots for free. Find the full TIAGo loan conditions and application procedure here.